Thursday 14 August 2014

Blogust Day 10- #TBT - Marilyn Monroe

I'm back with another edition of #TBT. This weekend we're looking at one of my all time favourites...

Who:
Marilyn Monroe. Actress, model, singer.

When:
June 1926-August 1962
The look:
Arched brows, red lips, beauty mark.
Works best on:
Everyone!


Marilyn's look is what most people would refer to as a "classic pin up" look. This strongly arched brows, the stamped on red lip and slight winged eyeliner is a totally iconic look that really does suit everyone. It's timeless, it's classic and it's actually beautifully simple to recreate. 
The key aspect of this look is keeping everything else very simple. Three features are being highlighted here; the brows, the lips and the eyes, so don't go in with heavy Kimmy K style contouring and a smokey eye. Just stick to the basics.

The beauty of this is is very wearable to you can rock it day to day or just have it as your go-to look for a night out.

To recreate the look on myself I reach for the Maybelline Master Shape Brow Pencil in Dark Blonde. Now I have much thicker fuller brows than Marilyn so I have to really accentuate my arch and concetrate the coliur there, rather than filling the whole brow- don't go crazy here, you don't want to look like your brows are drawn on- remember they're sisters, not twins. I then go in with the Dior DiorShow Brow Fixing Gel in 541- this is perfect for dark blonde brows. 

Next up is the liner- I start of with a matte shade all over my lids to even everything out and stop creasing. Something like Foxy from Urban Decay is great. I then use the Eyeko Skinny Liquid Liner in Black to create the feline flick. You want to keep this quite thin, but really use to flick to elongate the eye.

Finally, the lip. I use the good old Lisa Eldridge trick of using the lipstick to stain the lips and then building up the layers, to create a really long lasting lip. My red of choice is the Rimmel Kate Moss Lasting Finish Lipstick in 001. It's the perfect pillar box red and completes the look beautifully.

And there you have it. A classic pin up look, Marilyn Monroe style.


No comments:

Post a Comment